Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Teacher Tuesday

Please join me here each Tuesday as I ask darling educator friends to be good sports and answer some light-hearted questions about reading. I'll ask them to fill in the blanks, fess up to titles that make them cry, and give us a glimpse into what's on their TBR pile.

First up is my nearly-neighbor, Adam Shaffer. Adam teaches 4th grade at a school in northwest Washington (state).

Adam, please fill in the blank: 

You should never read and blank at the same time. 
Drive! Not safe! Carpool or take the bus if you want to read! Or, audiobook?

If you were invited to be on Oprah, what book would you bring for her to read? 

I'd want her to give some exposure to a book I love, but that I don't feel like gets enough attention. So, I'd probably bring Cold Cereal, by Adam Rex.

What is the funniest book you’ve read? 
A Crooked Kind of Perfect, by Linda Urban. The best thing about it is that it is funny with out "making fun of."


What is the saddest? 
There are a lot of books that have made me cry, sometimes from sadness and sometimes from joy. I think the saddest books I've read are Love, Aubrey, by Suzanne LaFleur, or Each Kindness, by Jacqueline Woodson.


Favorite reading snack/beverage? 
I prefer to read lying on the couch or hammock, flopped in a comfy chair, or laying in bed, so snacks and drinks don't work particularly well while I'm reading. Still, I'd never say no to a chocolate chip cookie.

What’s next on your TBR list? 

On my stack at home, I have The Actual & Truthful Adventures of Becky Thatcher, by Jessica Lawson, and Death by Toilet Paper, by Donna Gephart. I also have a few more of the Washington State Sasquatch nominees to finish up.

Teachers, librarians, reading coaches, principals, custodians, lunch ladies, anyone with school connections: Please play along! Email me here and I'll get you the questions so you, too, can be featured on Teacher Tuesday. 

2 comments:

  1. Fun interview, Adam. Thanks, Kirby, for hosting. I adore A CROOKED KIND OF PERFECT and just shared it with middle school students in NY during a Skype visit. And I'll have to read COLD CEREAL because I love Adam Rex's quirky, inventive, hilarious writing style. Glad to see DEATH BY TOILET PAPER is on your TBR list. Please message me if you'd like me to send you a bunch of new bookmarks for your students. Happy Reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to kick off a new year of Teacher Tuesdays! Thanks, Kirby.

    ReplyDelete