Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Teacher Tuesday

Good sport Eve Eaton is a first grade teacher at Sidwell Friends School in Washington, DC where she enjoys learning and laughing with her students and co-teacher every day.  


Eve, please fill in the blank: 
You should never read and (blank) at the same time.

You should never read and walk at the same time.  It can lead to accidents!

If you were invited to be on Oprah, what book would you bring for her to read?

I think I would bring The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate.  In the words of some young people in my life - It's such an emotional book.  Ivan has a tough life, yet he is still able to find joy and hope.  Kids can relate to many topics in the book and connect easily with Ivan.  It's the kind of book you can read again and again.

What is the funniest book you’ve read?

When I think of funny books for older kids, The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster immediately comes to mind.  The word play is so much fun, and this book makes a great class play!   Of course, the funniest book series for younger kids is the Mercy Watson series (no surprise there!).  Mercy seems to get into troublesome situations without meaning to, and then somehow everything works out well in the end.

What is the saddest?


This was a tough question.  I have always thought that Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig is such a sad book.  Even as a kid, I would get frustrated when Sylvester's family was nearby and he couldn't talk to them!  The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein was also so sad to me when I was a child because the little boy doesn't appreciate the gift of friendship for such a long time.  For older readers,  I think Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson is one of the saddest books.  I feel that it was the first book I read as a kid where there wasn't a happy ending.  It made me keep thinking about the story and reading it several times.

Favorite reading snack/beverage?

I love to read, eat popcorn and drink orange juice.  Not too messy and very satisfying.

What’s next on your TBR list?

I am really looking forward to reading Fiona's Lace by Patricia Polacco and Leroy Ninker Saddles Up by Kate DiCamillo.

Teachers, librarians, reading coaches, principals, custodians, lunch ladies, anyone with school connections: Please play along! Email me here and I'll get you the questions so you, too, can be featured on Teacher Tuesday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment